Good morning all and happy Wednesday!! 🙂
Sorry I missed all of you yesterday, but I’ve been doing a lot of cooking and cleaning lately!
*(Plus some pizzelles today!)*
Let’s just say that holiday flavors are the best; warm spices, sweet aromas, and even sweeter food greet your nose with delight as you breathe in a huge snuff of air. (Or at least that’s what I think…)
Anyway, today’s oatmeal tasted just like the cookies I made yesterday: spicy, sweet, and bursting with holiday flavor. CAN YOU SAY YUM?!
Or I can say it for you….YUM.
Alright enough talking, more oat-ing. (I like making up words). Of course, I have to give credit where credit is due: The Oatmeal Artist! I used her Gingerbread Latte Oatmeal as a guide for the spices in the recipe, which are a NECESSITY. If you don’t have a particular spice, feel free to sub it for something else that you think would taste delicious.
(But ginger is kinda important…it’s only the name of the recipe!)
The kitchen was made for experimenting, people!
(Slightly adapted from The Oatmeal Artist’s recipe)
- Serves: 1
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/2 cup water
1/2 of a ripe banana, mashed
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp. plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
Pinch of salt
*1-2 tsp of PB2 (optional, for added protein. I added 2 tsp)*
3 tbsp. Liquid Egg Whites (or 1 egg white)
- In a small saucepan, bring almond milk and water to a boil then add in your oats and mashed banana. Reduce heat to medium.
- Wait about a minute and add in the Greek yogurt, stirring until everything is mixed. The mixture will be bubbling a lot, but this is normal! The yogurt just needs to thicken!
- After the mixture has thickened, add in the vanilla extract, spices, pinch of salt, and optional PB2. Stir again.
- When you think the oatmeal is just about done, turn the heat to low. Pour in your egg white and whisk until all traces of the “white” are gone. (This could take up to 2 minutes, so be patient!)
- Transfer your oats into a bowl and top with some molasses or any other topping of choice.
- ENJOY! 🙂
For more mouth-watering oatmeal pictures, be sure to follow me on Instagram!
Yes, mine is featuring a gingerbread cookie I baked yesterday!
Don’t worry, I didn’t eat him….
Enjoy your hump day! 🙂