HEY EVERYONE, HOW ARE YOU?! 🙂
I’m currently enjoying my coffee, but all I can hear at the moment is the wind howling like crazy, so forgive me for screaming up there! Is it insanely cold where you are too?!
I hope everyone had an amazing Valentine’s Day weekend, because I sure did. Thank you to my man for making it so special. <3
And thank you to those sweet potato fries too…..
Currently a whopping 3°, wind chills at about -10, I’m not looking forward to the 10 minute walk to class….sounds like we need some comfort in a bowl!
Luckily, I’ve got just the recipe for you today! 🙂
Some call it berries and peanut butter oats, I just call it comfort in a bowl. So let’s get to it shall we??
You’re going to need a berry medley, but you can just use whatever you have, if any. I always buy frozen berries during the cold months because it’s so much cheaper! My berry medley contains blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries.
You’ll also need my 4 basic stove-top ingredients: almond milk (or milk of choice), oats, Liquid Egg Whites, and plain Greek yogurt. I also add in some vanilla protein powder, but you can omit this if you want and bump up the amount of peanut butter. Or you can do both, because why not?! It’s Monday!! 🙂
*Oooo side note!* Wait until the oats are transferred to a bowl to add the frozen berries, otherwise the oats will most likely turn into an ugly shade of purple, but add at your own risk!
The oats are yummy, warm, and comforting to your stomach. What more could you want in a breakfast?
Comfort In A Bowl Oatmeal
- Serves: 1
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- Total Time: about 10-12 minutes
1/2-1 cup milk of choice/water (or an equal ratio of milk and water)
1/2 cup rolled oats
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon *optional*
1/2 tbsp. vanilla protein powder
3 tbsp. Liquid Egg Whites (or 1 egg white, but protein content will change)
For the top:
1/4 cup berry medley, frozen and thawed slightly
1 tsp-1 tbsp. peanut butter
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk/water to a boil, add oats and pinch of salt and reduce heat to medium.
- Wait about a minute and add in the Greek yogurt, stirring until large yogurt lumps are gone.
- Wait another 2 minutes or so, at least until the mixture has thickened, and add in the vanilla extract, optional cinnamon, and protein powder.
- When the mixture is basically done, pour in the egg whites and whisk until all traces of “white” are gone. If the mixture is too “eggy” for you, feel free to add in some honey/maple syrup to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with the berries and peanut butter.
- ENJOY! 🙂
Find it on my Instagram, or in your stomach after it’s eaten…;)
Stay warm my friends! 🙂