Hey there everyone, happy Monday!!
Today was an early run day for me, followed by an awesome breakfast of French Toast Oatmeal, which I’ll be happy to share with you. My version was adapted from The Oatmeal Artist’s recipe, but I added a few things to really boost its nutritional profile, especially for my very large appetite in the morning. Always a bonus.
French Toast Oatmeal
(adapted from The Oatmeal Artist)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed (optional, but I love it)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
- good drizzle of maple syrup
Directions: (adapted from The Oatmeal Artist)
- Bring the milk and water to a boil, and add oats, mashed banana, flaxseeds, and reduce heat to medium.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Give it a few good stirs, then turn down the heat even lower, almost to the “Low” setting.
- At this point you’ll want to add in the egg white. Do so slowly, and start stirring the oats in a whipping motion until all of the “white” from the egg disappears. This could take up to 2 minutes (mine did).
- The oatmeal should be thick at this point, but when the consistency pleases you, remove from the heat and place in a bowl. Drizzle it with the maple syrup and add whatever you like on top (I added more sliced banana).
- Enjoy 🙂
I thought the egg white added that authentic “French Toast-y” flavor, not to mention an extra shot of protein yay!
Okay, so now for my ultimate showdown:
French toast VS. Pancakes.
How could one possibly choose??
Would you rather eat a warm, light, and fluffy stack of golden clouds with syrup cascading down its curvy sides like a waterfall, or thick, hot slices of perfectly battered bread that soften as they absorb all the syrup seeping into its many cracks?
(Ha. I don’t know either.)
Growing up, pancakes were a rarity at my house because no one ever felt like making them (I don’t understand why!) But I could always count on French toast to be there for me because we always had bread in the fridge. However, I’m not sure which I would choose to win in this battle. So, I’m leaving it up to YOU. Which would you rather eat?
Speak your mind in the comments below!! Have a great rest of your day 🙂